Re: Merging release branch

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Merging release branch
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 15:30:30 +0300

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  rgm@gnu.org,  stefan@marxist.se,
   emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 13:51:59 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Who'd do the cherry-picking in this scenario?  And why do you assume
people won't forget doing that, like they forget to merge and/or mark
the changes "not to be merged to master"?

The people who commit things to master would also be tasked with
deciding whether to cherry-pick things for the release branch.

That assumes they will want to, and will do a good job.

People seem to generally want to push changes to the release branch. If only to get them to the users sooner.

I fear that what you propose will completely demote the release branch
to the status of second-rate citizen, because it then becomes a
burden.  That'd be a regression.

Speaking for myself, a cherry-picking work flow would be less work, not
more work in general, because I normally use an Emacs from the master
branch.

Then it's good for you, but not for me: when a release is in progress,
I work mainly on the release branch.

And of course, cherry-picking doesn't remove merge conflicts, they
will still need to be resolved.

By the author of the change, that's the point.

So I also think it might justify the additional overhead of having to cherry-pick every change.

We've been using the current workflow for years without any major
problems.  Changing that now radically doesn't make sense to me.  It
will most probably need several procedures to be modified that were
stable for several releases, and I don't see the gains which would
justify that.  We have enough real work on our hands.  So please let's
not do that.

Do we have a volunteer who will take over from Glenn?