Re: Ligature support

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Ligature support
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 14:25:11 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen writes:
> Possibly, but probably not.  But I don't think people will choose to use
> fonts for programming that have fonts like that.  (Are there even any
> monospace fonts that have such ligatures?)  But when rendering document
> using a variable-pitch font, then yes.

That is what font "features" are for, as I understand the concept.  I
think Emacs supports those already.  Features enable or disable stuff
like certain ligatures.  The user can activate or deactivate features in
the font specification to choose which ligatures to use.  The idea would
be that the defaults are conservative, so I expect monospaced fonts
would usually disable most ligatures, but the user can still enable them
when and where s/he wants them.

Just my 2 cent,
benny