Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 14:19:41 +0000

On Wednesday,  1 Dec 2021 at 14:54, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> I see.  So I'd assume evalling the following also has the same overlap?
>
> (insert (propertize "foo-emacs" 'face 'variable-pitch))

trying this in my scratch buffer displays the text using normal
monospaced font.  In any case, I created another buffer and changed it
to proportional font and yes it has a very similar appearance, albeit
maybe with a single pixel gap.  (different background etc. maybe making
it appear subtly different.)

> In which case it sounds like your proportional font just is that way.

Yes, definitely.  I'm using:

ftcrhb:-PfEd-UnVada-regular-normal-normal-*-29-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x10)

I have tried a different font (Carlito) for variable pitch and it does
look better for this aspect.  I don't like that font as much overall,
mind you.  I haven't really spent much time trying to find a good
guess. 😉

So the choice of font for variable pitch has an impact, which is kind of
obvious and which has already been highlighted in this thread...

thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.1 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.1