Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 15:33:47 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I thought you asked me (separately ;-) to work on both.

Less work for me is less work for me.  😀

>> 1) Be able to specify a min width based on a "standard" char width (for
>> "-" in the mode line, for instance)
>>
>> 2) A specific pixel width (for justification, for instance)
>>
>> 3) The integral multiple (i.e., "grid")
>>
>> The third thing should be a buffer-local variable in addition to a text
>> property.
>
> We already have 1), it just needs some loving care, AFAIU?  What is
> missing in min-width to provide 1) ?

For min-width provides both 1) and 2), but it's inefficient for both, so
I think it makes sense to allow both these things in the char-spacing
(or whatever we're calling it) thing.

As a practical matter, `min-width' doesn't support nesting now, and we'd
have to make it recursive to allow having both a `min-width' on a series
of characters and on separate characters (as we need in the U:--- thing
in the mode line), which would further make `min-width' more inefficient.