Re: Any use cases of `iso-transl-language-list'?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Any use cases of `iso-transl-language-list'?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:36:14 +0100

    Tor> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
    >> Please do not remove this feature.  It is useful for typing German and
    >> Esperanto text, at the very least.

    Tor> I concur.  For Esperanto and German this is a complete feature, and you
    Tor> could write anything in those languages with these maps and it has
    Tor> seniority.

    Tor> However, for Spanish, Portuguese and French this feature is very
    Tor> incomplete, and I'd argue that it'd be better to either remove this
    Tor> feature for these languages or somehow extend it to offer full support
    Tor> (which would be difficult without having the same number of key-strokes
    Tor> as the regular `C-x 8' map).  As it is now, it might be misleading in
    Tor> that it implies support for the character support of said languages,
    Tor> while in reality it's only one character for each language that saves
    Tor> one key-stroke.  Also, for Spanish "¡" and "¿" can be input the same
way
    Tor> without activating this map.

For eg French I donʼt see how to disambiguate eg é and è with a single
key without trampling on something else (assuming a US-ASCII style
keyboard). And those are already available on C-x 8 ' e and C-x 8 ` e,
so I donʼt know what you think is misleading.

    Tor> IMO seniority is not sufficient justification for keeping "support" for
    Tor> these languages around, at least in the current incomplete state.

As others have said: theyʼre not causing any harm.

    Tor> Could we at least mention input methods in the docstrings here, and
    Tor> perhaps the issues around greater support?

Input methods, yes. You'll have to expand on what you think these
'issues around greater support' are.

Robert