Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 22:30:28 +0100

> What does "casually building" mean (as opposed to just "building"), and
> why should such users be any less interested in having a performant
> Emacs?

If you just want to use a newish Emacs (as opposed to develop with it),
you're pulling down the sources and building it casually.  (And probably
updating once in a while.)

If your system is slow, doing a native build can be punishing (and might
well turn these people off Emacs altogether).

>> (And think of the CO₂ effects.)
>
> Won't we save CO₂ in the long run by not wasting cycles interpreting
> bytecode?  Benchmarks please.  ;-)

Yes please.  🙃