Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 21:19:57 +0800

dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com> writes:

> PL> +  if (!keep_point_visible
> PL> +      && (!w->cursor_visible_p
> PL> +   || w->cursor.vpos == -1)
> PL> +      && w->phys_cursor_on_p)

> The display code is already rife with a hundred state variables, all of
> which invite laborious combinations of if-clauses to accommodate

I am aware of that.

> (something EZ is rather expert at), all of them sources of FUD and
> puzzlement.

Why FUD?  What is the fear, and where is the uncertainty and doubt?

> cursor_visible_p is yet another state indicator that multiplies the
> state space by 2.  I can't oppose it (I can't seem to oppose anything)
> if it will revive emacs's fortunes

You, personally, are free to work on other things that interest you,
just as I will with my interests.  Emacs is free software after all.

If anything, adding the ability to have point outside a window will only
serve positively towards Emacs's fortunes, as this has been a feature
many people have wanted for a while now.

cursor_visible_p is also conceptually simple: if it is false, the cursor
is not inside the window.  I fail to see how it can multiply the state
space by any significant amount.