Re: sqlite3

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 20:42:02 +0800

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> I suggested hashmap serialzied to/from file. I used such approach
> myself for key-value pairs. It worked fine for me, it was quite simple
> to read/write it. Currently I am testing a thing, and I use just assoc
> list to read/write it to a file, and it works fine for me too.

I think the ideal choice would either be dbm (and the GNU variant, gdbm,
which improves upon it in every area) or recutils.

Which still raises the other important question of how to serialize
data, and how to do it better than `read' and `print'.

> Just because everyone uses sqlite is maybe not the best argument, but
> anyway, sqlite is maybe faster when serializing that reading/writing
> lisp objects.  I don't know, I am not familiar so much with elisp vs
> sqlite. Also, there are many uses for relational databse than just
> persisting user settings.  I am thinking of desktop applications a lá
> Access/Excel and similar.

What is special about the settings of MS Access or MS Excel that warrant
a relational database for storing them?