Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 22:26:45 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 21:11:21 +0100
> Cc: rpluim@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Emacs knows when it loads the init file.  We could disable warnings
> > during that load, perhaps.
>
> That works until you require some package from there, I think.  In any
> case, that would need someone to step up to write that code, and it
> sounds a whole deal more complicated than just flipping
> native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors to nil.

Then flip it.  For yourself.  Why decide for all the others?

I'd rather sustain a barrage of annoyed people who think these
warnings are gratuitous than explain to someone why Emacs decided to
shut up these warnings by default and thus prevented him/her from
seeing some warning which, if seen in time, could avoid a crash or
some other catastrophic result.

Native compilation is still in its diapers.  We learn about new
aspects and potential issues with it almost every day.  Sweeping
warnings under the carpet in this situation makes very little sense to
me.  It's our minimal safety net.

But if "by popular demand" and other pressure, you will decide to
disable the warnings nonetheless, I won't mount the barricades.  My
opinion about this is unchanged, but feel free to disregard it.