Re: sqlite3

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 08:42:00 +0000

>> I've brought this up before, but I didn't really have a solution then,
>> but I think I do now: sqlite3.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer to keep my configuration/state files in plain
> text, editable by Emacs.
>
> Would it be feasible to have common state save/restore interface for
> Emacs progrms/packages to use, and then configurable back-end to handle
> actual persistence, being sqlite3, dbm, plain (elisp) text, and what
> not?
I’ve attached a plain Elisp incremental implementation in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg00646.html
Interface is simply
make-kv-store (path)
compact-kv-store (kv-store)
kv-put (key value kv-store)
kv-get (key kv-store)

But honestly, I suspect using any db as backend for a persistent lisp
store will have virtually no advantage over plain text.
Then why even introduce them at the first place.

The more exciting thing will be to have a general object store
rather than kv-store (aka, incremental for arbitrary mutation
and preserve sharing). Any relational db will not help that either,
and it is better to be done in pure Lisp.

Best,
Qiantan