Ada/SPARK support in Babel

From: Francesc Rocher
Subject: Ada/SPARK support in Babel
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:01:58 +0100

[ this message was also sent to the emacs-orgmode list; sent here to get more feedback ]

Hi all,

I've started developing Babel support for Ada and SPARK languages.
I would like to include them in the main org-mode repository, as an
additional ("officially") supported language by org-mode.

Temporary development can be found at https://github.com/rocher/ob-ada-spark/

For a new language to be included in the main org-mode repository, it
is required that the language:

  1. is supported by Emacs
  2. has a large user-base

IMMO both requirements are satisfied:

  1. ada-mode supports Ada (and, partially, SPARK)
  2. Ada appears in position 32 in the TIOBE rank of programming
     languages popularity (https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/), above
     other languages supported by Babel like Julia, Clojure, Haskell,
     Scheme, awk, Forth, Ocaml or sed. (SPARK appears in the next 100)

Do you think that Ada/SPARK support should be included in the main
org-mode repository? Or in the org-contrib one?

BR,
-- Francesc Rocher