Re: Mutating existing persistent data

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Mutating existing persistent data
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 02:16:32 +0100

> Here's two random ideas:
>
>     define-saved-variable
>     define-stored-variable

Hm...  possible...

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I noticed you hadn't listed "permanent" yet, or "durable".
>
> But I do think 'persistent' is the usual term to describe this sort of
> thing, so personally I'd find a way to use it.

It's possible that we could make CEDET not use it, I guess?  The way
things are connected up in CEDET makes it a challenge to start to
unravel it, though.

Bob Rogers <rogers-emacs@rgrjr.homedns.org> writes:

> Maybe use "multisession"?  That's a bit of a mouthful, it's more precise
> than anything else I've seen, and some extra semantic weight won't hurt.

"multisession" does convey a lot -- these objects are extra-special in
that they'll discover when they've been changed by a different Emacs (if
enabled), too, and "multisession" also says something about that.

Is there a shorter work that conveys the same thing?  I.e., that the
value might be coming from a different Emacs, and that it's persistent,
too?