Re: persistent data feature

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 07:23:29 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> But for uses such as storing a list of recently used Emoji, is a "slower
> interface" really such an important downside?  Especially since the list
> of recently used Emoji will be stored in a ring of some arbitrary (but
> small) size.

Yeah, most bits that are stored will be small.  But in aggregate, if
this feature is used as much as I think it will be, then the storage
will be large.

> I suspect that the use-cases which require storing a large amount of
> data (such as the Gnus registry) will generally opt to use sqlite3
> directly, instead of going through the "sticky value" system (which
> involves printing Lisp data to a string, storing it as a string in the
> database, and reading it back again).

Yup.

> What if someone else does?  Are patches welcome?

Sure, if they handle the semantics in a nice enough way.  (I.e., not
making it slower, have the same concurrency guarantees, allow the same
storage browsing, etc.)