Re: sqlite3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 10:12:40 +0200

> From: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>
> Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 23:50:56 +0100
> Cc: Pip Cet <pipcet@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Thu, Dec 09 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > What else can be meant by a proposal to allow Emacs to create and
> > access databases?  There's no other reasonable way of reading that
> > message.
>
> Actually, Lars' original message was to give Emacs a persistent variable store
> and to use sqlite3 for that purpose.
>
> No-one really objects to giving Emacs some sort of persistent variable store,
> and no-one objects to giving Emacs the ability to communicate directly with
> sqlite. But the proposal was about doing the former by means of the latter.
> And
> I can understand how that would raise some doubts.

But the objections explicitly sounded like they were against having
the DB access capabilities within Emacs.  At least one participant
explicitly said so.  Which is what I criticized from my POV as one of
the Emacs maintainers -- resisting to addition of a useful capability
doesn't make sense.

For specific uses of this in Emacs, there should be separate
discussions focused on each of the uses, because the alternatives are
different in each case and so are the pros and cons to consider.  For
example, I presume there would be no issue to use that as basis for a
package that allows browsing and modifying SQLite DBs from Emacs.