Re: persistent data feature

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 09:37:20 -0500

> But the current large data structures are in things like the Gnus
> registry, which can grow arbitrarily large (and slow, unless you trim
> it).  And my .ecompleterc is 4MB.

4MB doesn't sound like it should be a problem, and I don't see much
benefit in having ecompleterc grow much further (by its nature it
contains a lot of "irrelevant" data and it's good to trim it every once
in a while for that reason).  Also having it too large would slow down
completion itself, so I suspect that storing it in a sql database would
not help.

The gnus-registry is a much more compelling example (especially since
there's no reason we should regularly scan it from start to end, we
only really ever need to look up specific entries, so the indexing of
the database should allow answering those queries efficiently without
having to read the whole DB from the disk (tho nowadays reading 100MB
from the disk is basically instantaneous anyway).

So, IIRC the only current example is gnus-registry.  That sounds good.

        Stefan