Re: persistent data feature

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 23:13:25 -0500

  > > I think RMS may have meant the dynamic module support which exists in
  > > Emacs.

Yes, that is what I had in mind.

  > In that case, it's a misunderstanding and a tangent in the context of
  > this discussion.  We don't use sqlite3 via a dynamic module, and I
  > personally think it would be wrong for Emacs to provide _any_ core
  > feature through modules -- doing so just adds complexity for no good
  > reason.

If we really want a feature to be in the core, then we don't want to
make it a dynamic module.

However, it can happen that we want to support a feature with C code
but we don't want it to add to the complexity of core Emacs.  Making
it a module could be a way to support it but keep it out of the core.

That would also reduce the number of libraries that Emacs depends on
-- because if a module depends on the library, that means Emacs itself
does not have to depend on it.