Re: Contradictiory directions

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Contradictiory directions
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:42:48 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

>> Then as RMS said, we should remove the feature wholesale, until a
>> solution is found.

> My point is that if the symbol trick is considered an acceptable
> solution

My understanding is that the symbol trick is considered acceptable
because it will be more likely to hold up in court to mean that whoever
wrote the non-free module fully understood that it had to be compatible
with the GPL.  (And it certainly took a long time to devise that method,
as there were already patches for Emacs 20 adding dynamic loading
support, but it took us all the way until Emacs 25 to get where we are
now.)

But apparently SQLite modules, even those intended for use with Emacs,
are not legally required to comply with the GPL, so that is out of the
question here.