Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs

From: tomas
Subject: Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:33:45 +0100

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 11:41:07PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Thanks for sending me the LD_PRELOAD info.
>
> LD_PRELOAD seems to be a user customization facility,

It definitely is: for the user/sysadmin. Much akin to advice in the
Emacs world. Releasing packages which make use of it has a confusion
potential and should be avoided, unless that is their specific purpose
(example: apulse makes use of LD_PRELOAD to make applications think they
are talking to pulseaudio, whereas the user only has ALSA available [1],
but that is its stated intention; another good example is faketime,
which uses LD_PRELOAD to intercept system calls to control the date/time
an application "sees" -- be it for testing or for reproducible builds).

Definitely not a thing which should happen without the user's knowledge:
she'll be confronted with difficult-to-debug situations otherwise.

> not well suited to releasing modified versions of programs.

Absolutely.

> So I think it is not significant for the question of sqlite3 modules.

Strong agreement here.

Cheers
--
tomás