Re: Incorrect font weight selected

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Incorrect font weight selected
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 08:32:16 +0200

> From: Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:25:32 +0100
>
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Iosevka"
>                      :height 140 :weight 'medium)
>
> somewhere at the end of my init.el. It has always been there.
> It is not in after-make-frame-functions.
>
> If I start emacs normally (not in daemon mode), the 'medium weight is
> selected correctly.

OK, so this use case works correctly and as intended.

> When I start emacs with --daemon and then create a new frame via
> emacsclient, the 'regular weight is used for the new frame instead.
>
> This is new. Until the build from ~4 days ago, 'medium was selected
> correctly in both cases. In both cases, the correct font family and size
> is used: only the weight is incorrect.
>
> When I revert commit 1b2511fa2aed460120a36765ba16c14e355eef1d then the
> 'medium weight is selected correctly in both scenarios.

In a daemon session, you are supposed to put such customizations in
the server-after-make-frame-hook.  If you do that, does it work as
expected?  Before a GUI frame is created, customizations of faces and
fonts doesn't work as you'd expect because the GUI system may not be
available yet (the frame which the daemon has is basically a surrogate
TTY frame).

The commit you point to made font selection more lenient wrt medium vs
regular, so I'd be surprised if it prevented some weight selection.  I
believe it previously worked for you by sheer luck.