Re: Contradictiory directions

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Contradictiory directions
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:45:43 -0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>
>> This is a politically loaded discussion. Still, I think it is important.
>> If there is a reason to assume that "blacklist"/"whitelist" might offend
>> some people, I think it does make sense to look for alternatives.

+1

> There is a node "Other Politics" in the Information for Maintainers of
> GNU Software, which says:
>
>   A GNU package should not seriously advocate any other political
>   causes.  Not that the GNU Project opposes those other causes.  Rather,
>   it is neutral on them, and GNU packages should be neutral too.

No one can be completely neutral; we always bring our personal history
with us. When that history includes systemic problems, we are often
unconscious of the impact of our actions.

In addition "neutral" is not the same as "ignore the issue", and "use
new terms" is not the same as "advocate".

We recently agreed to use the term "main" instead of "master" for a Gnu
ELPA repostory, for similar reasons.

--
-- Stephe