Re: Motif support

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 11:52:37 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

>>> Not if nobody else but me has to worry about it.
>>
>> Anyone who reads or hacks the sources has to worry about it.
>
> You don't have to.  The Motif code is well contained behind Motif
> conditionals,

The hacker must track those conditionals while reading the source.

> and it is also conceptually simple.
>
> And as of this moment, you have no obligation to keep the Motif build
> working after hacking: I volunteer myself to keep it working.

Somehow we must ensure that the existing and future hackers should know
about this ;-)

What I've read from you about motif on this thread convinced me to give
it a try, but let's face it, the display code is rotten spaghetti (much
of Emacs' C sources are rotten spaghetti, but the display part is far
worse) and removing some of the umpteen backends would be a start to
improve things.

If Motif is so good, maybe remove Lucid? (which is what I use, BTW)