RE: [External] : EQ-ness

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : EQ-ness
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:12:17 +0000

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>
>   > BTW, Richard, I often have difficulty telling what
>   > message or sender you're replying to.
>
> Sorry.
>                                            It would
>   > help me, at least, if you made that clearer somehow.
>
> What would you suggest?  I started by quoting text -- what would
> be clearer than that?

Maybe say who the quoted text is from, as I did here?
That's usually not necessary, of course.  Dunno what
might be a general guideline.  Not a big problem,
anyway.

> It's good to know that print-circle is working for this purpose.
>
>   > I put the full bookmark, which is a list with car
>   > the bookmark name and cdr the bookmark data, onto the
>   > bookmark name, as text property `bmkp-full-record':
>
>   >  (put-text-property
>   >    0 (length bname) 'bmkp-full-record bmk bname)
>
> Could you please confirm that I understand right?
>
> I think you're saying that you've changed the Emacs bookmark
> data structure representation.  Is that right?

No, not the bookmark structure.  Well, it depends
on what is meant...

This just uses a propertized string instead of an
unpropertized string, as the bookmark name.  (And
as I mentioned, this is optional, per a user
option.)  But a property of the string has, as
its value, the entire bookmark (a list).

> Is the standard Emacs bookmark data structure circular?

No.

As for whether this structure (a bookmark entry,
which is a list) is circular: It depends on what
you consider to be circular list structure, or a
circular list.

I've argued previously (not in this thread) that
this _is_ a kind of "circular list" because the
car is a string with a property whose value is
the whole list (the bookmark entry).  Some
disagreed about the terminology.

The self-referentialness here is from the string
pointing (by way of a property) to a list that
contains that same string as its car.  The list
is "circular" in that its car in some way points
to the overall  list itself.