Re: Motif support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:13:13 +0800

Aiko Kyle <aikokyle@gmail.com> writes:

> It seems we just passed the 20th anniversary of the release of Emacs
> 21! Since then, I think a lot of assumptions about hardware have
> changed or are changing: GPUs are now ubiquitous, hidpi is here to
> stay, laptops have precision multitouch trackpads and touch displays,

None of which will require a rewrite to support.  In fact, Emacs 29
already supports precision mice, high definition displays, multitouch
trackpads, and digitizers.  On X, both the non-Cairo and Cairo builds
make use of hardware acceleration whenever available through both the
Glamor component of the X server and the X render extension.

NS also makes use of hardware acceleration, and IIUC GDI (which is used
in MS-Windows) is also hardware accelerated.

> I imagine Firefox's transition of gecko to rust components from servo
> over the last several years is probably a good indication of what such
> a rewrite looks like for a complex codebase.

Gecko is still mostly C++, and hasn't gone through much of a rewrite
either.  (But please take the discussion about Gecko to emacs-tangents.)