Re: Motif support

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:38:37 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> As I said, Motif is the least of the problems here.

Yes, it's not a lot of code, and that points towards keeping it.  But on
the other hand, simplification is simplification.

> I'd say the toolkit responsible for 90% of the mess we have in xterm.c
> is GTK, of which 70% is the responsibility of GTK 3.
>
> The PGTK code unfortunately suffers from the same problem, as GTK isn't
> very suited to software like Emacs.

I don't think we can avoid supporting GTK, though, so it's something we
necessarily have to live with.  The same isn't the case with Motif.

> (BTW, is everything under gnu.org down?  Anyone know why that might be
> so?  Thanks.)

Yup; it's totally down -- no mail to @gnu.org/@fsf.org is being
delivered now.  (Except to debbugs.gnu.org, but last time this happened,
that server accepted mail and then discarded it, so I'll probably have
to resend all the bug-related mail I've been doing today.  *sigh*)

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/gnu.org.html

and the status page isn't saying anything,

https://hostux.social/@fsfstatus