Re: Motif support

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:45:07 +0100 (CET)

Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02040.html
From:   Eli Zaretskii
Date:   Tue, 21 Dec 2021 20:37:03 +0200

Sorry, forgot to answer the last part:

> Experience tells us that users on every platforms generally want Emacs
> to look and feel like other GUI programs on that platform.

I feels like this contradicts VSCode's popularity, which has it's unique
look?  Why shouldn't Emacs have a signature keewl look?

Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02046.html
From:   Eli Zaretskii
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 21:29:55 +0200

> That doesn't really work.  For example, the pixels that you want to
> bitblt have to be created somehow, and how do you think you create
> them, if not by drawing to some off-screen surface using those same
> GUI API calls that you want to avoid.  (Assuming, that is, that you
> don't really intend Emacs to construct those pixels bit by bit "by
> hand", i.e. reinvent all the graphics programming from scratch.)
> Not necessarily.  For example, menus on Windows cannot be created
> without going through the "toolkit".

Yes, that is exactly what I meant all along by saying "a simple
software renderer".  It really isn't that hard to draw a 2D GUI, no
need to reinvent all graphics, only a miniscule part. Text rendering
is the hard part, which we delegate. We draw the menus how we want them
to look, then tell the platform to display them.