Re: devil's advocate

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: devil's advocate
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:15:37 -0500

  > > I have never seen this in use.  Is the "red team" charged to look only
  > > for valid and pertinent arguments for changing the plan?  Or is it
  > > supposed to treat the question as a real fight, trying to defeat the
  > > plan by hook or by crook

  > They need to play the adversary, and do it well.  Whether that
  > includes "by hook or by crook" depends on the domain; for example, in
  > Cyber warfare it's entirely expected.

I think you have changed the subject subtly, from design to security,
and extended the issue of devils advocates in an incorrect way.

If pentesters find a security flaw, and they demonstrate it, that is a
real criticism, not a fake one.  The equivalent of devils advocates in
pentesting, if such a thing is possible, would be people who smear you
about presumed security weaknesses without bothering to find them.

Let's move this to emacs-tangents.