Re: Suggestions for improvements to the *Completions* buffer

From: Daniel Semyonov
Subject: Re: Suggestions for improvements to the *Completions* buffer
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:56:49 +0200

    >> I like these improvements overall, but I think
    >> 'completion-auto-select' should be split into two options (or
    >> allow more specific assignment) to differentiate between
    >> automatically selecting the *Completions* buffer when it appears
    >> and selecting it as part of "wrapping" (when
    >> 'completion-wrap-movement' is enabled).  The former behavior is
    >> very jarring when using a package which automatically updates the
    >> *Completions* buffer (for example, ELPA package
    >> aggressive-completion), while the latter behavior could still be
    >> desired in such cases.

    > Sorry, I don't understand what is the latter behavior that is
    > selecting the *Completions* buffer as part of "wrapping".  What
    > wrapping could select it?

When just 'completion-wrap-movement' is enabled and the last completion
has been reached (in the *Completions* buffer), pressing TAB will jump
to the first completion.

When both 'completion-wrap-movement' and 'completion-auto-select' are
enabled, instead of jumping to the first completion, pressing TAB will
select the minibuffer.  Pressing TAB again will then select the
*Completions* buffer and jump to the first completion.

This the 'latter' behavior, which I would like to have independently of
enabling 'completion-auto-select'.

    > What keys should be typed to initiate such wrapping?

TAB and <backtab>, same as currently.

Thanks,
Daniel