Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 08:07:22 -0800

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 22.12.2021 18:16, Theodor Thornhill wrote:
>> As for the mailing list, it is just for demo.
>
> That's too bad: low accessibility of the mailing lists for the average
> user will remain a barrier for participation.

I guess it's a demo *for now*.  We have not yet decided to migrate the
mailing list there, but we have also not decided to never do that, ever.

To lower the barrier, I'd focus on migrating the bug tracker, git,
etc. first and leave the mailing list(s) for later.  Once we have
migrated the important bits, we can consider the proposal to also move
the mailing list in more detail.  Of course, some will fear that
migrating the mailing list will then never happen, but on the other hand
we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I'm personally not too happy with the features of lists.sr.ht right now,
but it's neither worse nor better than Mailman (in my use).  However, if
the mailing list archives on sr.ht improves significantly over the next
year or three, perhaps it can outdo Mailman and convince even the
skeptics at that point.

So I suggest we do what Eli says and leave this to one side for the
moment.