Re: Motif support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:53:17 +0800

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> But you already have one such layer om Emacs; Gtk, GDK is a cross
> platform rendering layer Gtk uses, but Emacs could use just Cairo
> which is also used by Emacs.

Cairo is hardly cross-platform.  grep for `USE_BE_CAIRO' in
src/haiku_support.cc and you will see how much of a mess using it
anywhere other than a platform they explictly support is.

GDK only supports X and Wayland well: everywhere else, your mileage will
vary a lot.  Its support for macOS is particularly bad.

> If I am not wrong Gtk runs pretty much everywhere where GUI Emacs run,
> isn't it so? I am not sure how well it runs on Haiku, but otherwise.

It doesn't run on Haiku at all.

> So just let a volunteer remove pure xlib/win32/motif/ and make Emacs a
> pure Gtk application and all good :).

First you will have to fix the amazing attitude of the GTK+ developers
when it comes to fixing bugs from programs that don't fit within their
narrow worldview, such as programs that need to control the size of
their scroll bar thumbs, or programs that want to open windows on
multiple displays at once.

There is really no good "cross-platform toolkit" that suits our
purposes.