Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:33:59 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 20:30:42 -0800
>
> With regards to tooltips, in VSCode they can also include links to
> relevant actions.  I don't think we can currently do that (or e.g. use
> faces and have them work).

In toolkit-provided tooltips, we don't.  But Emacs has its own native
tooltips, where everything that works in a "normal" frame can work in
a tooltip.

> That said, all of this would obviously be a lot of work and until and
> unless someone starts such work this is all rather academic.

Not only that, I'd hesitate to accept such a contribution, because its
long-term maintenance would most probably be a constant burden, and if
the person(s) who develop such a "native" toolkit go on to greener
pastures, we will be left with an unmaintained subsystem.

So I don't think it is a good idea for Emacs to develop its own
toolkit.  We should use what's out there.