Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:06:41 +0800

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> And I think the BeOS port had been accepted under the same conditions
> recently.

I don't plan to abandon it, and besides, it's not vital for the
functioning of Emacs.

> We should be able to drop unmaintained ports. Even if we're reluctant,
> in general, to remove features that someone is using. After all, the
> history of changes is saved, so as soon as a volunteer arrives to
> resurrect it, they can start with 'git revert' and continue.

IMO, we should just let them be.  If someone notices once they get
broken, and is interested in fixing them, he will probably do that.

There's also the chance that an unmaintained port will simply continue
to work.

I think that's the situation with the MS-DOS port as well.

> In my mind, the new port would, similar to Blender, or VS Code, or
> IDEA, have their own set of widgets for menus, buttons, tabs, etc,
> which would remain consistent across platforms and look at least
> somewhat fresh/modern-ish. And it would support HiDPI scaling.

Please see my other reply to you on why that's simply not feasible for a
single expert, which we will probably not even get.