Re: Variable pitch mode line

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch mode line
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:02:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The text that needs to be reflowed doesn't include newlines, except at
> ends of paragraphs, right?  So those are very long lines that
> visual-line-mode will divide into screen line by wrapping.
>
> By contrast, in <pre> blocks each line ends in a newline, and the lines
> are supposed to be short enough to fit in a normal-size window.  So
> now wrapping should be needed.

In the HTML, newlines are just whitespace like anything else.  When
rendering most elements, the newlines are transformed to spaces.  (But
that's not done when rendering <pre> elements.)

evaluate.  We show the result of the expansion with
&lsquo;<samp>&rarr;</samp>&rsquo;.  We may or may not show the result of the
evaluation of the expanded form.
<pre class="example">(third '(a b c))
     &rarr; (car (cdr (cdr '(a b c))))
     &rArr; c
</pre></div>

Nothing special about the newline characters (or the lack of them).

Anyway, your suggestion was to have shr not do the reflow, but leave
that to redisplay.  My question was whether we have a way to avoid that
on certain pre-formatted lines, like if you have:

<pre>This is a line that will be reflowed by visual-line-mode because it's too
wide for the window, but it shouldn't be reflowed.</pre>