Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 12:53:44 +0000

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> The idea that there is something culturally wrong with the core
> development of Emacs is not new; see Open Letter to the Emacs
> Maintainers from 2016 for one example. But let me give my own
> impressions.

Does someone have a link to this open letter? All I can find is
https://medium.com/@fommil/open-letter-to-the-emacs-maintainers-226cb67a961f,
and that article was removed.

If the article is from 2016, I don't assume that it brings up anything I
haven't heard of before, but I'd still like to give it a read.

> I understand this is well-intentioned, and it is usually done in an
> unfailingly polite manner. But it has usually come across to me as
> gaslighting, and it's my opinion that the culture surrounding Emacs
> core development, in aggregate, strongly discourages new contributors
> from joining the community, especially if they are a member of a group
> which is traditionally underrepresented in open-source.

(Like people who prefer to not use GitHub/GitHub-like workflows?)

--
        Philip Kaludercic