Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'di

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'display-comint-buffer-action'
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 18:57:36 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Sam Steingold <sdsg@amazon.com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:00:44 +0100
>
> Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >     Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable
> > 'display-comint-buffer-action'
> >
> >     * lisp/window.el (display-comint-buffer-action): New `defcustom`,
> >     defaults to 'display-buffer-same-window' for backward compatibility.
>
> Others have noted the technical problems with this patch, but as the
> discussion in bug#52467 showed, Emacs already has capabilities for
> customising the behaviour here (via the general display machinery), and
> adding something cross-cutting but specific to the coming-derived modes
> just seems odd to me, so I'd be in favour of reverting this patch.
>
> Any opinions?  Eli?

Martin's opinions are more relevant, I think.

Me, I think we have way too many display-buffer customization
machinery, so much so that we are confused ourselves what we have and
what we don't.  But if others think this particular addition could be
useful, I don't mind: a defcustom doesn't by itself do any harm,
except perhaps making Emacs a tad more complex.