Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 19:35:18 +0800

> But first, I think it is important to note that this is *not* clear-cut.
> Siddhesh Poyarekar made this point on the Glibc mailing list this
> summer:

To the FSF it seems to be clear cut, because they are relying on the
advice of their lawyers to hold up in court.  So I don't think we are
going to do much to change their minds.

> Second, it is also important to note that lawyers have no formal
> expertise in how free software projects work or should best be
> managed.  They have no expertise in assessing the significant
> drawbacks that this brings to a free software project, and how that
> should be weighed against the legal advantages they perceive (or not)
> with having a copyright assignment.

How many drawbacks a free software project might get is moot, if it's
not (or can't be kept) legally free software.  We should not let some
vague definition of "drawback" or "weight" interfere.