Re: Android port

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 15:59:47 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: angelo.g0@libero.it,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 20:12:24 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > That doesn't answer my question, AFAICT.  In the current master we
> > have no uses of asprintf and vasnprintf, so I asked whether it is
> > needed on the branch, and if so, whether the MS-Windows build uses the
> > code where these two functions are called.
>
> It doesn't, but vfprintf-posix actually replaces all the printf
> functions, not just (vasn)printf.  The replacement functions are not
> necessary on Windows, however.

Then TRT is to disable the build of vfprintf-posix module on Windows.

> > The way to override Gnulib tests that conclude that some libc function
> > should be replaced is not to override the feature test (unless that
> > feature is supported, but Gnulib doesn't know about it -- which can
> > only happen if we implement the library function inside Emacs).  The
> > way to override those is to exclude the relevant Gnulib modules from
> > the Windows build via nt/gnulib-cfg.mk.
>
> There is already:
>
> OMIT_GNULIB_MODULE_vasnprintf = true
> OMIT_GNULIB_MODULE_vasprintf = true
> OMIT_GNULIB_MODULE_vfprintf-posix = true
>
> within gnulib-cfg.mk, but fudging with the feature tests is also
> necessary to generate the Gnulib stdio.h header correctly; absent that,
> it tries to provide definitions for its printf replacements, which does
> not work.

OK, then I guess there's something else at work here.  In any case,
the information posted by Angelo clearly shows that asprintf.c is
being compiled, and that is strange if vfprintf-posix module is
disabled.  Maybe we also need

  OMIT_GNULIB_MODULE_asprintf = true

?