Re: Android port

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2023 16:00:13 +0300

> From: Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org>
> Cc: angelo.g0@libero.it, luangruo@yahoo.com, eggert@cs.ucla.edu,
> emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2023 14:47:59 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > >   2) after this #include, add
> > >      #define asprintf rpl_asprintf
> > >      #define printf __printf__
> > >      #define vasprintf rpl_vasprintf
> > >      #define vfprintf rpl_vfprintf
> > >      and add prototypes for these 4 functions.
> >
> > I'd prefer to use the simpler machinery of OMIT_GNULIB_MODULE to
> > prevent the Emacs build from compiling asprintf.c and similar
> > replacements on MS-Windows.  Is that possible?
>
> Only Paul can answer this. The OMIT_GNULIB_MODULE mechanism is an Emacs
> invention.

Then I hope Paul chimes in soon.

> Gnulib's mechanism for avoiding modules is the --avoid=<modulename>
> option to gnulib-tool. But that omits the module on *all* platforms.
> Gnulib's preferred mechanism for tweaking the behaviour on a platform-
> by-platform basis is to preset some gl_cv_* variables, so as to
> shortcut specific configure tests.

I prefer not to preset gl_cv_* variables in this case, since they are
general enough tests of specific printf features, and if those
features will ever be really needed in Emacs, we want to be alerted to
that.  We only preset such variables when the corresponding features
are implemented in Emacs's own code (about which the configure script
cannot know), or when it is clear that the features will never be
useful in Emacs on Windows.