Re: HTML-formatted NEWS for Emacs 29

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HTML-formatted NEWS for Emacs 29
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 14:37:26 +0300

> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 12:05:26 +0100 (BST)
> From: Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver@mavit.org.uk>
>
> At https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.28.html, there’s the Emacs 29
> NEWS formatted as a webpage.  Will there be similar for Emacs 29?  At the
> moment, there’s just an Org file at
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.29.1, which isn’t as pleasant to
> read or as convenient to link to a particular section.

We never had HTML-formatted NEWS file on the Emacs Web page.  There
are no procedures to produce one that I'm aware of (at least the
procedure for releasing Emacs, documented in admin/make-tarball.txt,
doesn't mention that, it only says to copy the NEWS file itself to the
"webpages" CVS repository, which is then uploaded to the Web server).

According to CVS log, NEWS.28.html was added by Stefan Kangas (CC'ed).
If Stefan can share the procedure he used to generate that file, and
if that procedure is practical enough to be added to make-tarball.txt,
we will follow it from now on.  Alternatively, if Someone wants to
volunteer to prepare such a file, I will upload it.

(The existing NEWS file for Emacs 29.1, linked from the Emacs Web
page, is not an Org file, it is the same NEWS file included in the
Emacs distribution and available in the Git repository.)