Re: master updated (18e7bc87521 -> c71a520d1da)

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master updated (18e7bc87521 -> c71a520d1da)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 04:12:49 +0200

[ Resent with emacs-devel in Cc, sorry. ]

Did you follow the procedure documented in
admin/doc/git-merge-workflow when doing this merge? It looks to me
like you merged master into feature/android and then pushed that to
master, or something along those lines?

I'm seeing that files have their

     git log <filename>

 littered with incorrect (and distracting) commits saying

    Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master' into feature/android

This has not happened for any other feature branch (well, except pgtk,
but it is too late to change that).

AFAICT, we see commits like the above when the merge takes place after
the files were first changed on features/android and then [every time
they are changed] on master. In other words, they are displayed on
master now in the way you would expect on feature/android. See "git
log lisp/startup.el" for an example of what it looks like - not good.

Merge commits _from_ master should not be displayed, as they only
serve to make history less readable. That's why git hides them there
by default after you merge said branch to master. On the other hand we
are, of course, interested in when feature/android was merged into
master. But that is _not_ currently visible in "git log <filename>".

I recommend force pushing a correct merge to master before it is too
late to reverse this.