Re: The 'cross' directory

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: The 'cross' directory
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 11:54:05 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Is it true that cross-compiling Emacs does not work
> except when the target is Emacs?

I presume you meant Android by Emacs.  I view this as a feature, not a
problem, because:

> It is supposed to work.  Normally autoconf does that automatically.
> What broke it?

Nothing broke it.  Emacs never supported cross compilation in the past,
since Emacs is needed on the build machine to compile Lisp and dump
itself.

This arrangement has not changed under Android.  Instead, Emacs is
configured once and run on the build machine for the purpose of
byte-compiling Lisp code, before `configure' is rerun with the Android
cross-compiler to generate an undumped C binary that is copied into the
Android installation package.  Dumping subsequently takes place when
that package is installed.