Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:44:18 +0800

Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> writes:

> While not being up front about the changes is of debatable wisdom, I
> didn't find it particularly alarming given I at least have always
> understood the aim to be to have the C core as small as possible anyway.

I don't think that's true.  The C core can evolve as much as it wants,
with explicit action taken to reduce it if necessary, or if doing so
assists flexibility.

But that's besides the point.  Transcribing venerable and complex code
like fileio.c wholesale is out of the question, at least absent very
solid justifications attested by concrete plans to make use of the
changes.