Re: TRAMP and encrypted archive access

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: TRAMP and encrypted archive access
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:22:02 +0200

> Hi,

Hi Ihor,

> I am studying options to extend org-crypt encryption to attachment files
> in addition to text inside Org buffers.
>
> I do know that Emacs allows transparent access to encrypted files and I
> also know that TRAMP is able to open archive files (like .tar)
> transparently as directories.
>
> I thought that combining these two features should just work™, but
> apparently it is not the case. If I create a foo.tar file, I can open it
> with TRAMP. But the encrypted version of foo.tar.gpg file does not work
> - it opens in tar-mode instead.

The combination as in foo.tar.gpg/ is not supported yet in
tramp-archive. tramp-archive supports compressed files, not encrypted
ones. Yet.

> Am I missing something? Or may my idea be silly?

Might be possible, but I need to think about.

For your own purposes in org-crypt, you must ensure that foo.tar.gpg,
after decryption, is opened at foo.tar/ - the trailing slash matters.

Best regards, Michael.