Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 21:51:00 -0400

  > There's the "metar" package on GNU ELPA that receives the
  > weather from the metar system.

Wikipedia says that METAR is a format, not a system.  Where precsely does
that package get the data?  Servers run by who?

Servers that publish data of public interest are normally NOT SaaSS.
(Indeed, most servers are NOT SaaSS.)

SaaSS means using a server to do computing that naturally is yours.
You ask for some computing to be done, send the input, and get the
output back.  Services that give you METAR data do computing that you
might find useful, but I think that computing isn't specifically
yours, so it isn't SaaSS.

                                    A brief search didn't find any code for
  > that, but it might exist.

I can't make sense of that.  Didn't find any code for what?

  > The other interesting find was "sql-oracle", as well as other nonfree
  > similar sql servers in the main emacs lisp.  It is a server, although the
  > interface used is local and mediated by a program. But it is an interface
  > to a nonfree utility software.  There is no warning given, but a message in
  > `sql--help-docstring' asks the user to consider free alternatives.

This sounds like SaaSS to me.  Maybe we should add such a warning here.