Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 08:51:19 +0200

Ihor Radchenko wrote:

>>> You can generate random number sequence first, excluding
>>> it from the benchmark, and then benchmark mapping #'floor
>>> on the already generated sequence. Ideally, use the same
>>> sequence for both Elisp and SBCL.
>>
>> You are right, good idea. But maybe it is already known why
>> floor is slower in Elisp than SBCL?
>
> The discussion about floor started from Alfred using `floor'
> as an example where CL uses system-dependent optimizations
> and thus being much faster.

So the answer to the question, Why is SBCL faster?
is "optimizations". And the answer to the question, Why don't
we have those optimizations? is "they are not portable"?

But isn't that what we do already with compilation and in
particular native compilation, why can't that add
optimizations for the native system?

Some commands/Elisp on that (compilation and native
compilation) as a side note, maybe someone finds them
entertaining:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/install-emacs
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/native.el

--