Issues running gitmerge

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Issues running gitmerge
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:37:57 -0700

I noticed that it's been about a week since we last ran gitmerge, and so I attempted it since I have a couple of changes to the Eshell manual on the release branch that I want to merge into master. However, running gitmerge fails, I think due to our pre-commit hook complaining. The failing files are:

  ChangeLog.android
The hook rejects files with ChangeLog in the name, but reports the wrong error due to a (probable) bug in the hook.

  java/INSTALL
Whitespace "issues" (which are probably non-issues since these are part of in-line diffs).

  java/README
    Extraneous newline at the end.

  java/res/drawable/emacs_background.xml:30
    Trailing whitespace (probably a real issue)

The last two are easy enough to fix, but I'm not sure what to do about the others. Can we tell Git to ignore these problems? Should we fix them somehow? I'm no expert on the gitmerge process, so maybe I'm just missing something obvious.