Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 04:04:47 +0200

Po Lu wrote:

> I'm inclined to believe that type checks within those more
> complex functions do not contribute so much to the runtime
> of most native-compiled functions as the small set of
> arithmetic primitives do.

Very much so, one should focus on the small ones, that way the
big one will be faster as well.

The set of arithmetic primitives sounds like a good idea to
cover first.

But apart from them a primitive function is a function written
in C, but callable from Lisp, AKA what the help calls
a built-in function. So there are quite a lot of those!

One can test for primitive functions like this:

  (subrp (symbol-function #'+)) ; t

(info "(elisp) Primitive Function Type")
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Primitive-Function-Type.html

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal