Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: discoverability, better defaults and which-key in Emacs
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:34:39 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> But maybe we could look at the result of
>
>   (get 'narrow-to-region 'disabled)
>
> to deduce that if that is nil, we are dealing with a user who is not
> new, even if the key-bindings popup is not disabled.  If which-key is
> also turned off in "emacs -Q", perhaps that would be good enough?

I don't have a strong opinion but that sounds
viable. Linking it to narrow-to-region seem unrelated,
though I see the point.

> And I still think that automatically popping up the *Help* buffer
> produced by describe-prefix-bindings is simpler and more coherent with
> the rest of Emacs than what which-key does.  We could still import
> which-key as an optional feature, of course, even if the automatic
> popup of describe-prefix-bindings is implemented.

Again, I don't have a strong opinion.  Automatically popping
up a display of bindings is useful.  Bonus points for being
able to customize the sorting (e.g., by key or command) globally,
per prefix or on-the-fly.  which-key also leverages some
"Custom String Replacement Options" that make the display
more useful.

--

Howard