Re: Insight into the mystery hangs

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Insight into the mystery hangs
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 12:38:16 +0000

Hello, Eric.

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 16:37:37 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

[ .... ]

> However.  Emacs is not entirely off the hook here.  When I'm not under
> deadline pressure I will file a bug with a title something like
> "With debug-on-quit enabled, Emacs does not reliably raise a debug
> trace on interrupt of call-process"

> There's some kind of timing or window issue here. You have to get
> lucky to get a debug trace - I didn't, previously, in dozens of tries.

More likely a frivolous condition-case.  There are around 1712
occurrences of condition-case in the Emacs Lisp code, and not all of
them should be there.

A condition-case is an extremely useful construct for keeping things
neat and tidy, for preventing users ever being troubled by irritating
things like error messages and backtraces.  Typically, it doesn't even
leave any evidence of its being called.  You've likely been thwarted by
one of these.

Curse condition-case!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).