Re: Missing snprintf in ucrt mingw + vc-refresh in find-file hook?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Missing snprintf in ucrt mingw + vc-refresh in find-file hook?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:56:13 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> On 12/02/2024 12:06, Arthur Miller wrote:
>> Also, calling vc-refresh obviously results in a quite expensive call to git
>> process everytime I open a file from git repo. Is it really a good default
>> option? At least I interpret it so since emacs -q has vc-refresh in
>> find-file-hook. Why do we even need vc-refresh by default in find-file-hook?
>
> To have the mode-line indicator up-to-date, I imagine.

(setq vc-handled-backends nil) solved it. I would prefer such an expensive
feature to be opt-in not opt-out, or at least better advertised so I don't have
to find by a chance what Emacs is doing in the background; thanks.

>                                             I imagine.

I would appreciate if you leave sarcasm out of your answers.

Thank you.
/arthur