Re: Missing snprintf in ucrt mingw + vc-refresh in find-file hook?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Missing snprintf in ucrt mingw + vc-refresh in find-file hook?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 20:00:16 +0100

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:

>> ld is complaining about missing snprintf
>
> BTW, MSYS2 people build Emacs for UCRT64 with a few patches. See:
>
> https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/tree/master/mingw-w64-emacs
>
> I use those patches also for my Emacs master builds.

I was not able to apply their patches to the current master; git apply refused.
Seems like their patch is for Emacs 28.2. Instead I have manually patched-in
their
changes to the sources and was able to build it. Typing from it.

More than the patch, I also had to copy over cp.exe from msys/bin to ucrt64/bin,
because the cp.exe included in ucrt runtime failed in autogen or configure; I
don't remember, with message that --force flag is not implemented yet, when some
script was installing git hooks.

Emacs seems to work as usual thus far, but the native compiler complains about
missing function:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function comp-write-bytecode-file)

comp-write-bytecode-file("c:/Users/arthu/.emacs.d/eln-cache/30.0.50-ccd5287a/dired-auto-readme-d510bed9-ac3fa899.eln")
  emacs-lisp-native-compile()
  emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load()
  funcall-interactively(emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load)
  command-execute(emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load)

I also did got the message that Emacs is not functional at the end of the build:

  GEN      ../../info/efaq-w32.info
org.texi:15658: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line
org.texi:15671: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line
make[2]: Leaving directory '/c/Users/arthu/repos/emsrc/ucrt-w64/doc/misc'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/c/Users/arthu/repos/emsrc/ucrt-w64'
make sanity-check make-target=all
make[1]: Entering directory '/c/Users/arthu/repos/emsrc/ucrt-w64'
***
*** "make all" succeeded, but Emacs is not functional.
***
*** You could try to:
*** - run "make bootstrap", which might fix the problem
*** - run "make V=1", which displays the full commands invoked by make,
***   to further investigate the problem
***
make[1]: *** [Makefile:424: sanity-check] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/c/Users/arthu/repos/emsrc/ucrt-w64'
make: *** [Makefile:375: all] Error 2

arthu@Emmi UCRT64 ~/repos/emsrc/ucrt-w64
$ nt/runemacs.exe &
[1] 11791

However; I am running Emacs, it byte-compiles, loads stuff, runs my setup and
everything seems to work as usual.

I did make V=1, but see nothing failing, in make script.

> Ciao,
>  Angelo.

Thanks for the pointer;

Ciao